A N T I C I P A T I N G --- yet trying to live life in the moment

August 29, 2006

One weekend with my nephew and suddenly men find me irresistible

My 12 year old nephew came to stay with me in NY for a long weekend. I'd been promising him a visit all summer and with school just one week away, it was time to give in and hang out with the kid. We had a really nice time, seriously. He came on Thursday and left Monday, and during that time he was the best roommate I'd ever had. He washed the few glasses in the sink and even took out the recyclables. We ran errands, shopped (scoop warehouse sale and the boy never complained), caught a movie, visited with friends (mine), saw a show and ate in endless diners. He's a cool kid. I really like him a lot.

Hanging around the city together I suppose we looked like a mom and son. I am technically old enough to be his mother and men in the street seemed really into that. My street approval ratings were freakishly high for all 5 days we scoured the city together. Men saw me holding his hand and in a moment they got that creepy animal seduction stare. It was pretty unexpected. All that 3 summers ago MILF stuff just didn't seem like street truth to me. I never gave moms a second thought, especially as competition, cause I'm in NY and hot mommies are in L.A. Isn't that where magazine perfect moms like Rachel Hunter and Kate Hudson live? Regardless of my no make-up, jeans, sneakers and tee look, I got the hungry twiceover from guys of every race, black, white, hispanic and asian (just kidding, everyone knows asian guys never give the wolflike, I will devour you if given the chance look). Men's response to me when accessorized with a 12 year old boy, leads me to believe that a woman who is capable of mothering is a total turn on for men. Me, a short, average looking brunette armed with a healthy 12 year old boy was instantly transformed into a universally desired woman. At a glance, I was capable of handling men's needs/neediness (cooking, cleaning, caring, nurturing, bandaging).

For many reasons, when Monday arrived I was sad to see the kid go. I kind of liked that the super hot dad in Banana Republic buying jeans for his 15 year old son ( I know that because he chatted me up while we waited for our individual boys outside the dressing room) was clearly smitten with me, an aunt that seemed like a mom. I noticed him, noticing that I, had no wedding ring on (neither did he) and I know he was about to take it a step further with questions like where do you work, etc. in an effort to give/take my number, but I do have a boyfriend, and I was pretty sure that being outed as the aunt would have plummeted my attractiveness level from woman with a kid whose biological clock no longer ticks cause she's satiated in the kids department to lonely aunt who loves playing mommy and desperately wants a kid of her own, neither of which is true, but men love to assess these situations and size us up as quickly as we do them... So at first chance I grabbed my nephew, paid for his new jeans and ran out of the store into the crowded soho streets where sexy dad would never be able to find us.

Interestingly enough, other women who saw me and my nephew and interacted with us, didn't take us for mother and son at all. The tailor who measured my sleeves for shortening asked if he was my brother because she could tell I was "way too young" to have a son his age. Not true at all, she was buttering me up right before she quoted $25 for shortening the sleeves on a jacket that only cost me $50. I am not too young to have a sixth grader, I just don't have the look or wear and tear of a woman with kids, and other women sense that. I'm exhausted, but not in the way that moms are. My tired look is from too many glasses of wine and waiting up for my musician boyfriend to come over after gigs so we can have sex late late late night. Big difference.

No comments: