A N T I C I P A T I N G --- yet trying to live life in the moment

February 24, 2007

Crying over spilled beer

Should I begin by thanking T for spilling beer on my pillow cushion covers and rug? Technically, I was the one who knocked the bottle off the table – But, the beer was his, and I only knocked it down because of a sudden awkward move I made trying to escape his kiss and snuggle grip. The spill was T’s fault, not mine.

T and I are in 2 different places about “us.” “Us” being a former couple, who dated, lived together, and then broke up. We didn’t work that way. We work as friends. T is interesting and creative and a talker and thinker and smart. Our time together is really comfortable, just as time spent with a good friend should be. Since I broke up with Stephen we’ve had sex a few times, which has been nice and helpful and convenient but makes me feel like the woman whom he put a down payment on an engagement ring for but never gave her because she broke up with him before he could even ask. That woman had a narrow escape, and maybe a month delay would have forced her (me) to have to say, No, I don’t want to marry you. I don’t love you that way. Loosen your grip, please; I need to go.




Should I thank T? This time yes, because it was the thought of stale beer scented cushions that got me to the Laundromat at 9:30am on a Saturday. The cushions look better, brighter and smell flower petal fresh. Which reminds me, I guess I should also thank T for leaving my fridge slightly open (all night). I discovered my warm fridge when I returned to my apartment, victorious from the Laundromat. Another push in the direction of cleaning something that needed cleaning, but not perhaps that very second. I tossed out bottles of stuff that long needed to go. It’s not wise to keep things past their shelf life, even if the cool fridge gives the impression it’s safe to use that ginger dressing you purchased sometime back in 2003, it’s not. Although seemingly harmless, there are items on every shelf that if used, will have consequences.

Thanks.

4 comments:

Oh great One said...

Sometimes we just need a push to do what we know is right. Whether it's with men or outdated condiments!

Anonymous said...

Arriving home from a nice dinner to a small studio apt in the ev the players enter from the upstage "front door"

v: grab a beer, take a seat on the couch and flip on the tv, I am going to finish my taxes and efile them.

t: ok

(T being the obedient manservant and having a fondness for beer complies, stopping at the fridge and popping the cap off the beer with a bic lighter on his way to the love-seat, placing the beer on the coffee table and picking up the remote, turing on tv and channel surfing)

v: (in a sing song voice) Thanks for diner I had a really nice time.

t: You're welcome, me too baby! (with enthusiasm)

( V crosses to love-seat and swings leg over T straddling him and sitting on his lap, plants a kiss on his lips and leans back and smiles)

t: thanks


v: ok, time for taxes.

t: wait, one more kiss

(T pulls V back towards him for another kiss, v kisses then pulls away as T tries to extend the kiss, V pulls harder away and wildly swings her leg knocking over t's beer off the table on to a cushion on the floor.)

t: (realizing the beer is poring all over) Hey! you knocked over the beer, look out it is spilling everywhere ( T pushes V aside scooping up the beer bottle limiting the spillage and thus saving half a beer for drinking)

SCENE.

YOU DECIDE!

ps: at 10 am T carries V's laundry down five flights and 2 blooks to the laundrymat, after taking trash down the five flights and before heading off to work.

posted by puka society for equal time.

Anonymous said...

... oh yeah and on sunday t emptied fridge of all traces of years old condimints.

ves said...

pah-leeze. not how it went down at all.